Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 10:16   Link #26385
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Those who think that ROKA is outnumbered is looking at the wrong numbers.

- KPA has a nominal conscription length of 3~5 years, but effectively 10 years. ROKA has the effective conscription length of 2 years. Basically, the only reason KPA has a higher nominal troop number is because of the length of conscription, not effective conscription.
- While nominal reserves of KPA is 8,200,000, this includes virtually everyone of "reliable" political background from age 17-49, with most of them knowing only the simplest things and mostly used for logistics and construction (less than 20% are actual combat troops). The ROK Reserve Forces of 2,900,000 is to be a pure infantry fighting force, meaning in effective reserves the ROKA outnumbers the KPA.

I don't need to go into the logistical and technological differences, do I?
Good points, one thing to bear in mind though is that while South Korea does have greater potential reserves, those reserves would take time to mobilize(and likewise it would take time for American assistance to arrive).

During this time while I don't think North Korea could outright win against South Korea, they could cause immense numbers of casualties, especially when we bear in mind how close Seoul is to the border.

North Korea also has 3 times more planes then South Korea, and though those planes are likely much less sophisticated then their southern counterparts, they probably could still cause immense damage to Seoul, especially when you consider that North Korea will probably use Chemical, Biological and Nuclear weapons of some kind or another (while I doubt they have a properly useable Nuclear weapon, they could still spread Radioactivity through "Dirty" Bombs).

At the moment, I think the human costs of a war in Korea would be quite terrible.

EDIT: Perhaps the best possibility might be to assassinate North Korea's senior leadership. Power is so centralized that the country might just collapse into anarchy.