View Single Post
Old 2013-03-05, 11:39   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Pretty much any show with decent-or-better drama in it is going to have its low points, its moments of sadness, its grueling ordeals for certain protagonists. Drama requires at least some level of conflict, and for that conflict to be tinged with strong emotions. And Key does drama exceptionally well.

But this notion that Key is all about "sad girls in the show" is a bit overplayed. Key shows tend to have loads of lighthearted comedy, and LB! might have this more than any other Key show. Key shows also tend to be literally bright and colorful. Not just in character design, but in overall setting. Most days in LB-verse are bright and sunny days from what I can recall.

To be clear, I'm not saying that this latest development with Kud's mom is necessarily bad. They could make a great story out of it. But I can see why it would be jarring to someone. Watching a major character's mom get killed in the present tense (rather than just the latest sad backstory, which frankly anime in general is loaded with up to one's eyeballs) has a certain rawness to it that most Key stories I've seen don't have. I mean, it wasn't even foreshadowed. In the same episode we're told about Kud's mom, she dies. BANG!