View Single Post
Old 2013-03-20, 19:10   Link #2307
Cheerful Orange

Oh god where to begin.

Haruhi. It's not an awful show, but the whole "out of sequence" episode structure was an awful idea- twists and plot points in future episodes get spoiled in prior ones, there is just no coherent pacing or rhythm, and it just doesn't work. I concede this is less of a problem on the DVDs, when you can watch them chronologically. Unlike in the light novels, where the cast is given a decent amount of depth (though admittedly it mostly builds up throughout the novels, which can be hard to replicate in a show just over a dozen episodes long), most of the cast (AKA: Pretty much everybody but Kyon) felt rather flat. Haruhi, who was really designed to be a deeply flawed character ends up feeling like a bland Mary Sue. Also, Endless Eight why.

Another. Like, I don't even really get why people like the show that much. It's basically Final Destination except a pseudo-solvable mystery (I refuse to consider that twist fair play), and a hyper-complicated plot that required 3-4 episodes of exposition to actually explain. I get that the show was going for shock value, but I never cared about any of the characters that died, which just made the scenarios hilarious rather than disturbing.

Madoka Magica. The cast isn't fleshed out enough, really rushed pacing towards the end, and a pretty painful ending. I honestly thought that I'd like the show- I really liked Nanoha, and that was pretty clearly the kind of feel they were going for. But it didn't work for me. I wouldn't call it awful (there were moments I enjoyed), but I don't get why it's so insanely well-liked. It also ruined the word "deconstruction", which I will never forgive it for.

Death Note. The protagonist is unsympathetic with an incredibly unrealistic character arc, most of the cast is mediocre at best, and the second half was just painful. Also, Misa.

Last edited by Cheerful Orange; 2013-03-21 at 22:42. Reason: Edited for clarity purposes.