Old 2013-04-23, 09:27   Link #349
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I take it you don't like Eotens?

Anyway, no, keeping it literal is stupid, if it means you have to use broken English, so yeah, sometimes you have to add words to not have the line read retarded. And I'm not talking just about my (rather poor) example. And I don't know what English you learned, but I didn't think I've ever heard anyone leave a sentence like that hanging, unless they burst into tears/laughter while talking. Maybe you are one of those who likes things as literal as possible. You know, the ones who write "I was seeing a dream" or "Even at a time like this". And why not? After all, it's "correctly translated" right?
Okay, Eotens is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. The title of the show is in English on the screen. The manga has been released in the US under the title Attack on Titan. So to change it like that was moronic. And the diatribe they went through to justify their actions was ludicrous. The author chose the title. Honor the author's work by at least keeping his/her title intact. In this case the common mistake was that the fansubbers thought they knew better the creator of the series.

Literal sometimes works. But obviously, if you can make the sentence flow better with slight rewording, you do it. Like when a person says "Haven't you found them?"(asked in a negative way in Japanese) and the answer in Japanese is "Hai" the word for "yes" - but we know as viewers that the person answering has not actually found who they are looking for so you translate the answer as "No." because they are affirming the questioner's query.

But you don't have to add to what is suppose to be a dramatic pause or trail-off line.

Last edited by Heibi; 2013-04-23 at 09:54.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote