View Single Post
Old 2013-05-01, 21:20   Link #1946
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
It has changed enough times over the years (and certainly not to "cute things I hate") that I don't give a fuck anymore. The "it's a feeling" sentiment has always been there, that much is true, but you were saying there's no such thing as a "moe genre", and I'm telling you that audiences in 2001 Japan and perhaps 2006 Murica would tell you otherwise, because the use of the word has been mainly associated with "moe elements" during those years.
A big part of the reason why I think there is such a thing as "moe shows" is because there are certain shows that are widely recognized as giving many anime fans that "moe feeling"... and I can't think of anything like those shows outside of Japan.

I mean, try to think of the American equivalent of K-On!, or Clannad, or Kanon. And I don't mean just animation, I mean live-action TV dramas/movies too. I can't think of any American (or Canadian, or British) show that's like K-On!, Clannad, or Kanon.

If moe was just a feeling, then why is it that no American TV show can capture it like KyoAni (and some other anime studios) can?

So no, I definitely think that moe is more than just a feeling. There's something a a bit more specific, a bit more distinctive, perhaps even a bit more cultural to 'moe' than just a 'warm' feeling or a 'protective' feeling.

I can't think of anybody like Kotomi Ichinose in the western entertainment world. I can't think of anybody like Yui Hirasawa in the western entertainment world. I can't even think of anybody quite like Eru Chitanda in the western entertainment world.

Whatever you think of these characters, they seem to be pretty distinct to the otaku entertainment world. And KyoAni, to its credit, is one studio that throughout most of its history has been very good at capturing that "essence of Moe".