View Single Post
Old 2013-06-30, 23:42   Link #100
apotheosis
Shinigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
My only complaint is that... well there was a lot of stuff that seemed to be important and in the end it wasn't.

The whole battle between the Hideauze and the GA just remains in the background, like I pointed out back in EP12, Ledo lives happily thereafter while, supposedly, there is still a fierce war going on in the galaxy, am I supposed to just think, well whatever?

The revelation of the Hideauze being humans then was nothing more than interesting sidetracking from the main focus of the series, because in the end the subject was dropped as easily as holo-kugel stating "former humans" and the case was just settled like that.

The whalesquids as well only served as sacrificial victims to make Ledo feel guilty but nothing more than that, I don't even know why anyone should bother about them at the end of the story. It is suggested that it is possible to communicate with them so perhaps they are a little above the animal level, but still, what's their purpose and why do they seem to like lost technology so much?
Yep, this part is far more interesting to me than the main story. It getting the brush off after the big reveal felt out of place & made me wonder if they even planned the arcs much before doing them.

If they really wanted us to care about more than Ledo & Chamber, they should have chosen one thing or another to focus on, instead of jumping all over the place (or made it longer). The captains, Lukkage & Ridget all seemed hugely underdeveloped and the mass driver was pretty much deus ex machina.

This is also the first show I've watched where I felt more moved by an AI's sacrifice than the possibility of any other character dying. In fact, I kind of hoped they would kill off more of the Gargantians. Uro had me going there for a second with slow pan to Amy during the Machine Caliber fight .. but not to be.

As to the "message to those about to enter society" .. it ended up being pretty banal IMO. Don't follow orders blindly and instead think for yourself? Really? I'd hoped for something more in depth about the short comings of all the different societies in the show (Gargantia included), but they dropped all of that for a stereotypical climax. Though, I must admit the battle scenes were quite well done & enjoyable, even if predictable.

Final thoughts: Fun & forgettable like a summer action flick with a bit skin, when it could have focused on some pretty cool Sci-Fi themes instead.