Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-05, 02:20   Link #1523
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
True, but Arata sets the terms for what it means for Taichi to become "proud of" himself, by naming Taichi a coward, in fourth grade, and later, in Fukui. Taichi's goal of becoming "someone who doesn't run away" relates directly to these two incidents.
I'm sure Arata has something to do with it too, but I actually link it back to what Chihaya told him just before he returned Arata's glasses, where she challenged him regarding "what's wrong with losing something fair and square?", and Taichi can only address her in his mind, "Chihaya, I haven't been doing things fair and square."

Though that's from the relevant manga chapter - I can't check at present whether it was in the anime or not (would probably have been episode 2).

That's why, to me, Taichi's goals aren't just associated with Arata - they're also associated with Chihaya. But at the same time, I prefer to think of it as coming from himself, as something he wants to do to improve himself, even if the inspiration/impetus from it initially comes from elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
He's a little aggressive--he puts his hand on Taichi's shoulder; he's self-confident; there isn't a trace of boast in his words. And think of how the animation depicts him after he's won, when he's on his way back into the hall for the closing ceremony: we see him from from below and behind, looking up at his shoulders as he walks away. The image emphasizes his physical presence--since we can't see his face, we look instead at his back, his shoulders, made the more imposing by the fact we're looking up at him. All of this is to suggest Arata is a man. A manly man, in fact.
Must admit, I never looked at that as an aggressive action, even if only 'a little'... Possibly because of the somewhat comical effects that the animators put on at that point...

And let me stay right away from the shipping aspect...some bad memories in terms of another series, I'm afraid...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2013-07-05 at 05:19.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote