View Single Post
Old 2013-07-25, 09:54   Link #32534
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

That would be nice if it were true, but I'm not sure there's enough in Chiru to really prove it. I think that was the idea in the first four episodes; the way she screws with Ange's head to motivate her seems clearly motivated specifically to achieve an end and she's very reserved in her emotional state while doing so. I really only take issue with her in ep6 on, where she starts appearing to nurse a serious grudge that both clouds her judgment and makes her less a manipulative aspect of the meta-world and more of a bully who is tired of not getting her way and wants to show the people who have upset her just how much she can screw them over.

Saying "well if she hadn't done x, people wouldn't have kept going" isn't a particularly strong argument, even when it's true. If her point is "I have to play the villain to seek truth because nobody else is willing to do it, because I'm the only one with the experience and ethical flexibility to be willing to push it that far," then the story just doesn't give her enough face time and justification to spin her that way. She comes across in Chiru as an increasingly petty dick who wants to ruin people for upstaging her. I'm not sure I'd be fond of that portrayal regardless (even though I would find it better) because it implies that you have to abandon decorum and compassion to seek Truth. If Battler's counterpoint to that had been "No, you can seek Truth without going that far," then fine, that's a pretty good conflict to set up for the end. But it... wasn't that.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote