View Single Post
Old 2006-02-14, 15:59   Link #22
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila
some random stuff about asian men
I would love to agree with you.... HOWEVER...

I am an asian man. But there stops the correlation between the generalization and my circumstance.

I could care less about perpetuating my (and my father's) lineage through my sons-to-be, because...

1.) My father's lineage is already dominant, especially in my home province. Heck, my uncle (father's brother) has so many sons (as well as daughters)--both legitimate and illegitimate I don't know the names of all my cousins.

2.) My mother's lineage is the one at risk. She was an only child. Thus, I have no maternal first-cousins. Most of my cousins are second cousins from her mother's (my maternal grandmother) side.

3.) My maternal grandfather died before I was born. However stories in my hometown say that he was a great man. Also the fact that most of my inheritance and would-be inheritance is the result of his hard work, more than that of my father's.

Thus, I must have a daughter to pass on my mother's X-chromosome (which she in turn also got from her father) and preserve her genetic heritage, as well as the heritage of my maternal grandfather.

So I identify fully with Hazumu's father. A daughter would be cherished, and would be very appropriate for genetic balance. Then again, Philippine society is the more clan matriarchy malay type society rather than the patriarchal oriental type society. My entire apartment block is headed by matriarchs. That is why in future marriage / business transactions it is very important that my mother has more power than the mother of the bride...it is the power of our clan which is at stake. I am seriously contemplating either changing my surname to my mother's maiden name, or else inheriting the spouse's name upon marriage. This is no loss, since my surname / father's name is like the equivalent of "Smith". It also doesn't help that my father has been more aloof while I was a teenager.

I can also identify with Hazumu because at one time someone commented that if I had been a girl, I would be very pretty and enjoyable to be with. From then on I'd started to be attracted to cute things.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-02-14 at 16:25.