View Single Post
Old 2013-09-24, 23:27   Link #1506
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
My qualms over the post futuristic theory can be summarized in the following issue:

How can such a vast area without any traces of advanced technology in it exist? We still find ruins dating thousand years ago, and they were made of stone and marble at best. Modern technology involves plastic, metals concrete which have an even higher durability over time. Some of them are massive like suspended bridges, railways, hundred story high towers, highways and so on. A civilized nation would have all of those, and not even a thousand year would erase them completely.

For example the pyramids of Giza and the great wall of China never really vanished from the eye of the people even without them tending them. A civilized and highly developed nation would create even greater and massive stuff and in greater number.
Hehe, gotta love one month long debates...

I wasn't under the impression we've seen the entire world at-large (which I think is the mystery of the entire show--maybe Misaka's mom is from that we haven't seen yet as I digress)...Even in the ancient musings we never get a full visual perspective on what the full view of "Earth" is or how it appears outside the the Wall-society and the outside forest...

In several Gundam shows for instance you see how completely barren a world can become when it is utterly reset based on apocalyptic aspects...In Turn A Gundam for example the world and buildings are similar to what you find in AOT...Now granted we know that this is a future dystopian world from the outside, but the characters live in ignorance to this UNTIL it is revealed (which could easily be the same case here)...

Again AOT has given so little evidence on the world at-large I feel like the context kernels, as in the religious ethos surrounding the walls (if you base that against understood societal norms of our time), seems to veer down a path of mishmashed information distorted over time (The cave-like crayon drawings we see on the mortar in the end theme)...Ruling out medieval magic the basis behind the "science" that IMO I believe is connected to some sort of genetic manipulation...

But again my original point was to pivot off of the thought that this was a Game of thrones level time-setting or something...Nonetheless as much as anything, it's just a feel from watching many shows like this and seeing certain tropes show themselves that gives me this conclusion as well...So I'm not being as narrow as you think as it could be so much more or less than this, but i do believe this world is future in any event...