View Single Post
Old 2013-11-07, 15:56   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, in fairness, it's a bit about how you define it.
Well sure. I'll usually take yuri subtext over nothing at all, and Kanon is right about yuri subtext being very common. So I certainly don't feel entirely neglected as a yuri fan. Still, what Kanon called "actual yuri" has just about disappeared over the past 4 years, whereas there was at least a decent amount of it for a few years. 9 or so shows over 4 years isn't bad for a very niche genre. 0 shows over 4 years is pretty bad for anything.

Though I agree with you on Saki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't mean to be dismissive, that's just my personal take on what's happening with Yuri anime.
You really don't see how there's been a spike in "all-girls slice of life shows" since 2009? You really don't see how that could conceivably co-opt the yuri fanbase?

Quote:
In the first place, it's not as clear cut as you seem to believe.
Hey, I'm only going by jedinat's numbers, which you yourself never questioned originally. Jedinat's numbers might be slightly off, but I don't think they're that far off.

Quote:
9 to 0? Not really. If you count Marimite as yuri, then you should also count shows like Madoka, Saki, Yuru Yuri, Kiniro Mosaic or Maria Holic Alive as yuri.
I disagree. And here's why...

Spoiler for Minor Mari-Mite spoilers; implied spoilers for other shows in comparison:

Quote:
And as relentlessflame pointed out, shows like Strike Witches and Vivdred are not far behind.
But they are not actual yuri. They are just yuri subtext, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
If you count OVAs like Candy Boy, you should also count Kitsukiboshi, SonoHanabira (it's hentai but I want to count it because it's damn sweet)
and Mnemosyne.
Ok, then let's drop Candy Boy, because OVAs almost never get noticed like TV series do. So now it's 8 to 0.

Quote:
Shows that are not yuri oriented but have major characters in lesbian relationships like Seikon no Qwaser and Peguindrum could also be counted.
That's really stretching it. I can't imagine anybody watching either of these two shows primarily for the yuri.

Quote:
You get my point,
Yeah, I get that you're grasping at straws because for some reason, you don't want to admit that actual yuri has been in decline the last few years.

Quote:

If we strip that list down to what's strictly yuri, we're left with the three OVAs I mentioned as well as Yuru Yuri and Madoka (Homu's love for Madoka is the major driving force of the plot).
You know what? As a big yuri fan, I honestly find Yuru Yuri offensive. I think it makes a total mockery of serious lesbian relationships. So there's no way I'll ever agree with counting Yuru Yuri as an "actual yuri" show, regardless of its title.

And ultimately, Madoka Magica is still a yuri subtext show.

So the real number is 8-0, in my view. If we're talking about "actual yuri" and not just "yuri subtext".

Quote:
Personally, I don't see much change. It was rare before, and it's still rare now.
I do see a significant change. 2 a year vs. 0 a year. That's a significant change.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-11-07 at 16:12.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote