View Single Post
Old 2014-01-04, 20:35   Link #134
Moridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
And human brain contain around 100 billions neurons and we talking likely about millions landers in whole world. And let's not forget that they act EXACTLY like humans with culture and unique temperaments.

Even if computers become so much advanced it would handle this much, human psychology is different metter (though I do know about these telephone experiments). In the end it is implasauble.
I'm going to make some guesses here now.

1. I'm guessing that Landers don't have a moving and functional inside, like intestines and lungs and such. Instead they could have "status effects" etc, that would mimic all the things a living human could experience.

2. I'm also guessing that the Elder tale programmers did not start with single celled organisms and let them evolve into Landers.

3. I'm also guessing that the Landers are not EXACLTY like us, instead they appear EXACTLY like us by simulating humanity indiscernibly.

if (1) applies throughout the body it lets us take away half the neurons, easily. (2) then lets us take away all the things left behind by evolution. It is hard to determin what is really needed for humans, what is the needed to make us behave as a human in every situation. With (3) in mind, maybe many of those situations can be approximated without it being noticable to an observer? I'd say that (2) lets us take away atleast half of the neurons once again. Depending on the amount of freedom the psyche of the NPCs have (3) could cut away a large chunk. I mean, does it really exist a Lander that gets turned on by baby horses and loves scat sex? We could easily cut away 99% and the Landers would still have the personalities of everyone the average human has ever meet.

That leaves us with 10^11 x 0,5 x 0,5 x 0,01 = 250 million neurons.

With calculations, you could avoid using floats and doubles when programming and instead using only integers. An Int takes 4 bytes. Each Neuron would require atleast 3 Ints, possibly many more. Each connection between neurons would require 2 Ints. There is atleast 10 times the amount of active connections as there are neurons.

That is:
4 x 3 x 250 000 000 = 3 billion bytes, just for the Neurons.
And 4 x 2 x 10 x 250 000 000 = 20 billion bytes for the connections.
That is a total of 23 billion bytes, which is 23 gigabytes per person.
Lets say that there are 10 million Landers, and that the rest of the creatures have a simpler AI, that is about 300 million GB, 230 million GB for all the sentient beings, 70 million GB for the rest.

Blizzard used 1,3 petabytes for its storage in 2009 (4). That is 1,3 million GB. That was enough for them, but they could have easily expanded it, they simply did not need more.

The "space per cost" is doubled about every 14 months (5). In 2009 there where:
((2018 - 2009) x 12) / 14 = about 8 such space duplications left until the year 2018. Thus a company could easily own:
1,3 million GB x 2^8 = 332 million GB by the year 2018. Which means that Elder Tales developers could easily have 110% of the memory required.

Lets say that I was wrong somewhere along my guesses. If the devs really needed more memory and made that a priority they could have had 10 times as much. Although, my guesses where catious and I think it is more probable that I have erred on the side of caution.

(4) http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...s-75000-cores/
(5) http://www.mkomo.com/cost-per-gigabyte