View Single Post
Old 2014-02-12, 22:33   Link #58
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
But here's the contradiction, with more immigration, the rate of consumption will also increase, which in turn create more profit and growth and end up creating more jobs. If they don't accept immigration, the downward spiral of low growth and lower employment(or salary) will continue. Of course, this is not a sure thing, but the current economic system in the world is build with this(unsustainable) growth of consumption as its base.
That would depend on what kind of immigrants you're talking about. If it's the lower-skilled factory worker, it wouldn't make sense - those factory jobs are/have been shipped out of Taiwan to China, why would Chinese workers leave China to come to Taiwan for the jobs that are in China?

Quote:
can you really differentiate between taiwanese and mainland chinese anymore? Because they're both technically Chinese
Actually, yes. Chinese ethnicity =/= Chinese nationality, or are you going to say that Singaporeans are also Chinese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
It has very much the legacy of Japanese imperialism in it, particularly since it was their policy to de-sinocize Taiwan (and Manchuria) and promote a local elite supportive of their plans. That was the underlying basis of anti-Chinese sentiment on Taiwan and simply expanded and mutated from there.
Yea, it has absolutely nothing to do with the White Terror, the oppression of the general population by the KMT AFTER the Japanese left, or the fighting and constant threat from PRC since then

Blaming the anti-China sentiment on Japan is like blaming John Kennedy for the NSA wiretap program.

Quote:
many folks I know had to learn the hard way that democracy is not the end-all be all of socio-political systems after being taught that all their lives.
That really doesn't mean much coming from someone pushing for communism/authoritarian dictatorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Last time I am gonna step in this thread and tell those posting in here to keep discussion civil folks. -_-
TBH, I'm not sure how much of that you're expecting here, you literally have people here arguing for one country to forcibly take over another.