Thread: Licensed Shokugeki no Soma [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-22, 21:54   Link #1911
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
Souma learns from failure, so every loss counts as experience because he knows what to avoid and what he can do to make the dish better. By the end of this manga, he'll have a really impressive repertoire of knowledge and skill, gained from not just his own experience but the dishes of his opponents as well. Souma's specialty is being a well rounded cook since he helps his father run a specialty of the day shop - his strength is being able to cook many things, not just one type like the others are specialized in. Whoever goes up against him will have to top that if they want to beat him. He is almost a cooking god in the making.

For someone who doesn't specialize in curry...to be a point under Hayama who is a curry expert, that is pretty damn impressive, and I think a lot of people around Souma, including Erina who is such an elitist, recognize how capable he is because he was able to get such a score. If curry was all Souma cooked, I'm betting Hayama would be in the dust by now.
I agree, I find it very odd that people stated that losing to Hayama means Souma's work is a failure. Souma is well rounded, he does not have a specialty like curry or scents like Hayama. Souma is a great chef with an impressive learning curve. Majority of the students, even Alice and Erina, were expose to up scaled cooking and had influences and prestige to gather the best learning resources around them. Souma had his father whom I believe learnt most of his skills from simple advice and observation than actual teaching.

Also, regarding people stating Alice isn't worried about these competitions. No matter what personality Alice has, she is not a real chef if she does not take challenges seriously. She is serious with all her dishes and put in her best effort despite her aloof personality.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote