Thread: Rec
View Single Post
Old 2006-03-17, 14:52   Link #150
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
At those rates, the cost of sending 4 people on a trip for the campaign, plus letting then stay in a nice place
with a rotenburo would then equal 10's of years of her voice acting effort. She's got to be
earning some cash somehow. (perhaps not a whole lot yet) I mean she was planning on getting
herself an apartment within a few days- and considering her only income, that means she
must be earning something. (you could argue that this show is utterly unrealistic, and that
all VA's must live in their parents basements, but in the world of REC at least, shes getting
paid enough to scrape by, despite being a virtual nobody)

plus matsumaru's not exactly rich either.
Three words for you: corporate expense accounts

If it's part of the job, it's all paid for by corporate expense. Matsumaru's expenses are paid for by that snack company, the manager and Aka's expense is paid by the talent agency. Hatada even said "I'm tagging along from my own pocket since I'm worried about Matsumaru-kun (read: Matsumaru-kun is a lucky bastard, I'll come along so I too can be with Aka-chan)." Hence, Matsumaru, the manager, and Aka didn't pay a single yen for this expense (exceptions maybe, see below). The only one who did was Hatada.

A lot of seiyuus live by - corporate expense. The talent agency pays for her trips and stays at hotels as travel and "miscellaneous" expenses. Much like any other country, the more the company claims as "coporate expense" on their behalf, the less tax they have to pay when tax season comes along. Hence, seiyuus do get by with cheap pay. The talent agency can pay for her (and her managers') travel expenses, hotel fees, dress rentals, and even foods at parties - all under "corporate expense." Of course, some companies are stingy, while some are more lenient. "Foods at the hotel is paid for...but if you want alcohol (beers), that comes out of your pocket." Or "your plane ticket is covered...but if you want meal for purchase - that comes from your own pocket." It's practically the same in any other company.

If a seiyuu needs to go to a certain director's drinking bash to "promote" herself, well the director lavishes his own money. But that really isn't the director's money as well. If he has a sponsor supporting him, that "pay" comes from that expense account which he can write off as "miscellaneous" expense as well.

Welcome to capitalism - if you can write it off as "expense," you will write it off as expense. That's the business world in any corporate society.

Hey - when I go to overseas travel for business, you think it comes out of my own money? You can bullshit your way to write off many things as "business expense" to your company. Take for example, my passport renewal fees. Hey, I can B.S. saying that "I don't need a passport - but I need it for business when I make overseas trips." Bam! Saves me close to 30,000 yen that I don't have to pay for.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-03-17 at 15:51.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote