View Single Post
Old 2014-04-02, 16:56   Link #13006
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not saying it's bad, and your points are good ones. I'm just saying: it isn't the kind of story where the hero faces overwhelming odds and eventually, after much struggle and suffering, triumphs through a combination of guts, cleverness, friendship, and incredible luck.

Instead, he faces enemies that are much weaker than he is. He uses his friends, but it often feels more like he gives them work to make them feel better than any real need for them. Rather than the kind of cleverness we could appreciate, he has out-of-this-world genius that mostly applies to a fictitious subject (magic).

We never wonder if he'll win (even as much as we ever wonder that... Of course the hero'll win, but you know what I mean?) At most, we wonder if he'll be able to win without using one of his hidden tricks (of which I'm sure he's still got a boatload).

Sometimes the narrator goes out of his way to tell us how easy something is for him, or that Tatsuya's right and anyone who has a different opinion from him is an idiot or a dreamer.

That's the kind of story it's been so far. I see no reason to think it'll change.
The story of Mahouka is not about a weak character trying to be strong, it is a story of a strong character trying to live his life while caring for a single girl.

In reading Mahouka, focused on the world that the characters is living in, believe me, you'll appreciate Mahouka more.....