View Single Post
Old 2014-05-15, 01:45   Link #4
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

You can't break the disk, but I once managed to bust my PSU because of repeated, forced power cycles (caused, I discovered later afterwards, by the thermal paste on the CPU being thinned out after I replaced the heat sink and the chip inevitably overheating). Systems are supposed to have crash mitigation nowadays, but don't test your luck.

If you have your Windows 7 installation DVD (although, from what you wrote, it appears you bought your PC with W7 pre-installed - correct me if I'm wrong) with you, you can always boot up from it and order a system repair. It'll only restore the Windows 7 files to their original state, though (which means that anything you got from Windows Update, maybe even SP1 depending on what's being repaired, will need to be redownloaded - and in the meantime, the difference in file versions could cause additional issues).

The other third-party programs (7-zip, WinRAR, Word, etc) that are also missing some bits here and there will still require installation, so at that point you're better off reinstalling everything. Clean slate.

But then if you haven't bought W7 separately and don't have an installation DVD, it might be a bit trickier.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-05-15 at 02:34.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote