View Single Post
Old 2014-08-12, 15:33   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
@ ad revenue argument: This is certainly the case for US TV, but anime economics works quite differently to US TV, afterall not many are going to be buying body pillows or figmas based on Mad Men or Sex and the City.
I don't think that relentlessflame was talking about, and I know that I wasn't talking about, TV ad revenue. We (or at least I) was talking about ads on the internet site that hosts the anime content.

Advertisers generally want to advertise on sites that are getting a large following, the larger the better. So here's what I think the anime industry might be thinking - If all these online anime fans never had internet piracy to turn to, or all of these various streaming sites to turn to, many of them would turn to Crunchyroll out of sheer necessity. This would increase CR's view count, which would make CR more appealing to advertisers, which could result in bigger and better or simply more advertising deals for CR (which in turn could mean higher licensing fees to benefit various Japanese companies).

That's just my theory anyway. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, at least right now.

The above being said, I definitely see your points on YouTube and Netflix. YouTube could be fantastic free advertising for anime. I myself discovered Nanoha through YouTube, and if that never happens - Who knows? Maybe I don't end up buying a Nanoha DVD.