View Single Post
Old 2006-04-07, 13:44   Link #58
Perishthethought

Neither, to be honest. I don't think one deserves him more over the other. Mitsuki certainly gave up a lot more, although the extenuating circumstances generated this rather than anything Haruka could have done in response.

It's a difficult one to call because we can't really make a decision over who loves him 'more'. In fact, can you ever make a decision over who loves who more? I think they both love him absolutely (at least at the point in the anime where the decision will affect their lives). Mitsuki was certainly willing to 'give up' more, although Haruka was also willing to physically exhaust herself in order to show Taka he didn't have to be around just to help her (wanting him to be with her out of love for her as a person rather than a charity case, as was the original intention of his visits).

Once you recognise that you can't make a decision based on how much affection they show for him, you begin to start making decisions based on arbitrary factors - like who was there first, or who confessed their feelings first. Put simply, you can't begin to do things like that because such things are decided by cruel twists of fate, serendipity, synchronicity and butterflies flapping their wings. You may as well make a decision based on who has the better hair colour.

I realise this sounds like reductio ad absurdum but oweing to the nature of being able to make a decision, you simply have to. Taka tied himself in knots just trying to contemplate the innumerable factors that led to his uneviable position. In the end, oweing to Taka's nature, he went with the one to whom would benefit the most from his 'love', his healing ways. To that end, he chose Mitsuki.
Perishthethought is offline   Reply With Quote