View Single Post
Old 2014-09-04, 14:54   Link #44
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
When they Minato told Naruto Happy birthday, i thought for a minute that they were going for a corny though kind of clever sentiment. Namely the reason Minato was wishing Naruto "Happy birthday" was because he never got a chance to say it before he died; afterall he died right after Naruto was born. Its like a real corny way of saying "I'm sorry I wasn't around for you throughout your whole life but I'm proud you're my son".

But no they meant it was his actual birthday and I just thought, "Well... isn't that a coincidence..." Honestly, there just isn't really much point to it. its just corny
I think this is just supposed to be a tie-in to the start of the story. Madara's first attack against the village was on Naruto's birthday, and Madara's final attack on the village was on Naruto's birthday; nothing more.

Quote:
I think the arc being a big mess is part of the problem. I mean i guess on its own this chapter would be rather "meh", but being the end to such a messy arc just makes it feel even worst. Its like everyone has been in such a pessimistic mood through this past arc and this ending hasn't picked them up. I mean, i don't even know a better way they could have wrapped things up... its like the ending would have had to been extra good just to come off as descent.
I guess this is part of my issue, insofar as people not liking the chapter. Like you said, "I don't even know a better way they could have wrapped things up..." I think a lot of hating on this chapter is borne from people just wanting to hate the final arc in general. No one was happy with Obito coming back so many times, I get that. Should he just stay alive then? If not, how should he die for the final time? Should Kakashi just keep Obito's sharingan? If not, how should he finally lose them? Should Madara die because he was an extracted Jinchuuriki, even though there's precedent for saving one? If not, how should he finally die? And, how does all of this push character arcs forward in a meaningful way?

An old adage is "You aren't seeing the forest for the trees." In general, that rings true for a lot of things, but I think this is one instance where fans need to stop looking at the forest, and just appreciate the tree that is in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i agree, i just think it's dumb to have any kind of finality to that moment since they are just going to be re-united in a couple seconds in the afterlife. apparently you can be with whoever you want, like how obito is stalking rin again in the afterlife

i dont think there is a heaven and hell either, i'm just saying that makes the point that 2 dying people will just be together in death anyway if they want. so basically there is absolutely no reason to feel loss in this universe. not only can people be edo-tensei or rinne tensei,d, now it's a thing that everyone can just hang out in the afterlife
This just feels like you're looking for things to complain about, because you want to complain. We have absolutely no clue how the afterlife really works. Just because we have one instance of two characters getting to be together (Obito and Rin), doesn't mean it works that way for all characters. And, even if it does, why do we have to assume that Hashirama and Madara would just hang out in the afterlife? Why couldn't they be embroiled in a never-ending battle? Just because they might be "together," doesn't mean they're going to be best friends.

At the same time, these dead characters, being able to interact with living characters, has lasting affects on the characters who will be living after the dead characters are gone, specifically because they will be gone. That loss, in turn, has an affect on how they progress as characters in the story. That's what I meant earlier, when I said the panels on page 12 said a lot, without the characters saying anything. Stories like this are about character progression. If every story is just going to boil down to "how does the afterlife work," then what's the point of telling the story in the first place? Sasuke, Naruto, Kakashi, Sakura, and many others will not be dead at the end of this story. What might happen to them in the afterlife has absolutely no bearing on what happens with them, now that the war is over.

Last edited by Quzor; 2014-09-04 at 15:11.
Quzor is offline   Reply With Quote