Thread: Overwatch
View Single Post
Old 2014-11-07, 15:39   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

TF2 comparisons are inevitable. Documents leaked late 2000s had the tenatively named Titan project to emerge late 2014 as what Kaplan left WoW for to work on.

Blizzard are being a bit clever. Shooters have had little impact on the e-sports scene (Counterstrike has a limited following and not that positive a community) and Team Fortress 2 has worn a bit thin for a lot of people. It's a genre they can cash in on and try and make an e-sport out of since Riot and Valve are way ahead of them on the MOBA scene with Heroes of the Storm taking this long to start emerging and Starcraft's impact being limited in that way.

Visuals are fine for me. Mercy seems like the one I'd play most since I played Medic big-time in TF2. But as you say, I hope this doesn't turn into a PG-era version of a shooter or too Pixarish.

One thing I will say is at least Blizzard made some female characters/classes - something TF2 and co. never did.

They managed to make Hearthstone go well within 1 year and is their first relative success at making an e-sport. I daresay Overwatch is their next hope - Heroes of the Storm likely has too big a wall to climb against its competitors.