View Single Post
Old 2006-04-20, 15:03   Link #65
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The major issue however is not just with Blu-ray, but the whole issue surrounding HDMI. HDCP certification is what I am more concerned with now...

Sure we might have a next-gen machine that can play the disc, but you need either a Graphics card that is actually rated to support HDCP and a display that will do it to enjoy anything in hi-def 1080i. If there's no video card today that has this certification, it would invariably mean that all digital enthusiests must upgrade at 2k7 and toss out whatever investments they made on 2k6 regarding HD hardware. Not many displays out there today actually are rated with HDCP ...

and guess what? All major OEM or tier-1 are branding their products as HD ready. I saw at least 3 different hardware reviewers all pointing to how that ATi and Nvidia do not have HDCP certification even on their latest boards... not only that, the displays out there that's actually able to do 1080i are expensive and it's only recently that the displays could be said as 'certified HDCP compliant'...

tsk.

Behardware's article indicates how that a reduced resolution will be displayed (or nothing at all) if the HDCP compliance is not met if even 1 of the display elements fail to have the certification. I don't like the sound of it one bit.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-04-21 at 12:09.