View Single Post
Old 2014-12-18, 20:40   Link #26
Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Regarding Sibyl being judge-able despite its brains being criminally asymptomatic, there was some pretty strong suggestion in the first series that one of the reasons Sibyl was composed of criminally asymptomatic people was because by taking in someone who was asymptomatic, they could then judge people from the viewpoint of that person, and thus narrow the pool of people they couldn't judge. Anyone else who was asymptomatic in the same manner as the new member would now no longer be asymptomatic.

So being criminally asymptomatic isn't just a non-permanent condition, the requirements for meeting it get more and more difficult to reach the more criminally asymptomatic people Sibyl takes into itself. Some of Sibyl's brains may just no longer be asymptomatic because the system had bettered itself over time and is now able to judge them.
I was a little confused/surprised over how quickly Sybil was able to get over this gap just by quantifying Kamui's collective influence/value. I actually expected Kamui to become a part of Sybil before they were able to judge the criminally asymptomatic people. But with how it's portrayed in the anime, it almost seems like Sybil had the capability to overcome this hurdle for awhile but chose not to until Kamui acted as a catalyst. I suppose rather than being criminally asymptomatic being a collective entity was a bigger hurdle for their judgment.

That aside, this episode ended pretty much ended how I expected. I'm very happy to see Togane Misako got what was coming to her, though I expected to see her brain being ejected from the Sybil system, which might've happened - too bad they don't have labels - rather than Kamui getting approval to shoot her with a Dominator. It was a very satisfying shot. And while I very much enjoyed this season, there are a few spots I'm disappointed with.

Togane Sakuya was somewhat of a disappointment. I didn't really feel him being very effective in turning Akane towards the dark side until towards the end of the series. Given what Psycho-Pass was capable of with Makishima and Kogami, I think they could've handled Sith Lord Sakuya challenging Akane's values better.

Mika was a disappointment, but that's mostly because I don't feel her character was fully utilized. As a foil for Akane and a representative of individuals surrendering their will, she's effective, but I had higher hopes for her. Possibly, the writers are saving her inner conflict and representation of society for the movie. I actually was hoping she'd kill Sakuya but only to save Akane from him and come to some sort of clarity with Akane and the Sybil system, but she's still as broken and childishly irresponsible as ever.

My greatest disappointment though would have to be how little other characters were developed and how distant Akane seems to her coworkers/Enforcers. Maybe because the series was so short they didn't have time to fit it in, but would it kill them to have Akane discuss a case with Yayoi over lunch or Ginoza over coffee?

That said, I found the plot very interesting and Akane's development. As the show progressed, it became obvious to me that Akane wasn't going to rebel against the system but rather fix/adjust it. I'm really interested to see how this plays out in the movie, since I assume rebels/terrorists/criminals in the foreign country are against the Sybil system's implementation.