View Single Post
Old 2015-08-30, 18:45   Link #23
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Nobody is "just" anything. Or everybody is just themselves. There are depths that have been hinted at for every one of these characters.

This interpretation is baffling. Those things have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. They haven't explored the details of the Elven communities because it simply isn't time to explore them yet.
Spoiler:
Your dismissal of Rory because of her sexual behavior displays an ingrained cultural prudishness on your part. It might surprise you to learn that not all cultures, both in the modern world, and throughout history, have upheld that view of sex. And Rory, as a being who has not only outlived the rise and fall of entire cultures, but who very distinctly exists outside of cultural mores and limitations of behavior, is not bound by our preconceptions on when and how people should engage in sexual activity. That does not make her a "slut;" assuming she would care if you tried calling her one (I doubt the term would make much sense to her even if you tried to explain it). It is simply a part of who she is: a level of maturity and decisiveness in her dealings with someone she is interested in that the other girls do not display. It is simply one more facet of her character, and simply because it is happening now does not mean that the author thinks that everything that comes after this point in the story is somehow "less important" than it. That idea is ridiculous. Events in a story happen when they are meant to happen; when it makes sense for them to happen. This isn't a newspaper: the events on the front page are not the most significant events going on, nor are the events on the last page the least.
It's tricky to grab attention and build a detailed world at once but by its nature, I feel scene setting should be early as possible. As they did with background for Pina and somewhat for Leilei's village. I just felt Tuka got neglected, and that if something less useful to the story could be cut to admit her background it might be the fanservice.

Spoiler for spoiler reply:

By Rory is...just Rory I meant it was unnecessary to explain why I called her a seducer. I'll comment further on Rory in her thread.

Back on Tuka, I can see why she got a suit for the Diet meeting; she's quite statuesque, so it rather suits her.

Spoiler for reply to apache thunder:

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2015-08-31 at 01:59.