View Single Post
Old 2015-11-26, 19:12   Link #965
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
I wasn't equating the idol phenomenon with the salaryman problem, but rather I was wondering if it might be related to the hikkikomori epidemic and associated effects- low birthrate etc- on the Japan- it was really more something that went off on a tangent in this topic.
I see no direct connection with the points you have stated.
The demographic issue regarding Japan is much more broad and has multiple origins, mostly due to how the environment isn't favorable for couples whatsoever (no recent baby boom, very crappy economy for years, unstable politics, etc).

Hikkikomori share some similar consequences than salaryman syndrom, but they do not have the same reasons to occur.
Social pressure is different for students/young adults, and when economy is hardly something to boast about in Japan, the concept of working like crazy to graduate, and in the end, not obtaining the job one hoped for kills instantly any motivation. I'm oversimplifying the issue, but as you can see, it isn't the same.
Meanwhile, Hikkikomori aren't the only ones that are obsessed by seiyuu and all. In fact, they are the "most harmless" in the bunch because well... they don't leave their room, so they aren't going to do shit stuff like barging in an event with a knife (which happened to Tanaka Rie during a Neptune event). That said, not all hikkikomori can be linked to trolls/morons on the internet, and there is no study evidence of that either. A good bunch of Hikkikomori are just young people who refuse to interact with outside world due to insecurity, absence of interest and whatnot. They aren't de facto obsessive people.

So really, you are comparing orange and apples.
Quote:
With regard to seiyuu, while it is for different reasons for different people, am I correct in my assumption that Japan is a society with a lot of social pressures, which can lead to high stress- something that is true for the salaryman and the idol and everyone in between?
Yes, there is social pressure. No, it isn't the same so I don't think it is appropriate to even compare both parties.
While both are affected by expectations from work, Salaryman are bound by a very rigid hierarchy and social standing among peers and coworkers, while still being "servile" to their boss. Work itself isn't always that insane, so there are a lot of companies where the salarymen are there just for being accounted as being present, and it isn't surprising a lot of them are just waiting for their daily schedule to be over before going home.

Idol Seiyuu are different, as they have to entertain the fandom so their popularity remains intact, which cannot be done with just voice performances and the like. This lead to multiple event such as live, seiyuu talk etc which attract a very broad fandom and therefore, a lot of money is at stake. As such, agency and production commitee exploit such trait to gain more money and so forth.
The pressure Seiyuu encounter is rather related to how volatile their work environment is, since their popularity is kinda their lifeline.
Meanwhile, "normal" seiyuu are at risk of having no role for a certain period due to their rank or competition from newcomers etc.

That's why I said I see no connection with the demographics you have mentioned with the topic at hand.
Quote:
As for career dedication, that in and of itself is not toxic- don't try think of me as some lazy hikkikomori type or anything! But I think when you literally reach the point where your regularly spending 10, 12 hours or more at work and are so tired you're falling asleep on the subway, it can get a bit extreme.
That's not extreme so long their health is in check. 10-12 hours is somewhat the norm and doesn't lead to massive overwork syndrome either. There are way more factors than simply work schedule being long/tight.

And no, I made no implication whatever you were lazy or anything.
Quote:
Obviously, one reform- i.e. workplace reform or better government benefits for married couples isn't going to solve all of Japan's problems, and not all of them are connected, even if they are part of a "set" of issues faced by one country.
This part of the discussion should really be assigned to "Japan culture" thread, but for my 2 cents: workplace reform isn't enough. And again, it doesn't have anything to do with Seiyuu being stuck with celebrity's label. That's why I stated that even if they somehow get a very satisfying salary, it is bound to have the very same issue because of the idol phenomenom being the norm now.

Even if mariage becomes popular in Japan, it won't help seiyuu, particularly those who are promoted like idols, simply because the way how idols are considered in Japan is more complex than just "object of desire". They often represent an ideal image for many fans, regardless if they can relate with them or not. Their existence is what fascinate a lot of them, which lead to fervent fans encouraging the said idol/seiyuu, and some of them can be overzealous leading to the extreme cases already mentioned in this thread.

It is a social phenomenom that is on its own "category" and it is really not bound to other social issues Japan is facing. In fact, the concept of idol was already popular during the 80's.
That said, with the advent of internet, the concept becomes way more widespread than ever and considering how it can affect multiple media, it isn't surprising companies are exploiting this in order to appeal a massive fandom which works in many cases.
So all the idol stuff is really on its own, and isn't part of the most pressing social troubles Japan needs to address, although the whole deal with idols should be addressed but for different reasons.
Quote:
Also, don't act like I'm unduly criticizing Japan, I'm perfectly aware that the rest of the world has its share of problems too- i.e. income inequality, campaign contributions, gay rights issues, immigration issues, guns, police brutality etc in the US.
There is no need to be defensive, but I had to correct the assumptions you have brought considering you are mixing issues that shouldn't be mentioned alongside.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2015-11-26 at 19:49.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote