View Single Post
Old 2016-08-18, 21:24   Link #1141
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I disagree here, for example, DRRR SH, sequel to DRRR like NT is to OT did terribly bad in sales, so bad I laughed (because Narita was legit at fault here), however the anime actually gave a huge boost to their sales making it sell good again.
I've learnt this the hard way when trying to get people to try out visual novels, though I'm well aware LNs are a much different medium and a lot more convenient and accessible anywhere than the restrictive VN stage, but the average person often simply doesn't want to invest themselves in regularly following a novel of any sort or simply doesn't have the time/motivation to, preferring having the material adapted in what they find to be a convenient everyday format like anime or manga, and as much as I hate that mindset popularity also has a lot to do with what makes it or breaks it amongst other issues that may help or interfere.

Durarara is established as one of the must-watches of the anime world and its first novel series is only about half the length in volumes as Index OT alone, so naturally the new anime would boost sales for a sequel they think will keep the same atmosphere as the show they dearly loved (the poor souls) so we can't say they share the same situation here.

And SAO is a very popular title regardless of what we may think of it, its sales reflect that while Index's (assuming there's nothing wrong with Oricon's counts) reflect a gradually declining interest. The reason I'm saying future seasons wouldn't help is because if they wanted to boost sales for NT volumes they'd have to adapt NT content since OT sales won't help NT's situation. There's a massive gap of content between where the anime left off and the sheer amount of things that happened in the meanwhile that Index III just can't salvage entirely on its own (basically requiring to still catch up to OT and then NT for boosted sales) for a series having as little popularity compared to other major players in the grand anime stage as Index.