View Single Post
Old 2016-09-01, 05:09   Link #39505
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Honestly I doubt it.
( Disclaimer I am an atheist)

The cross or some sort of two lines or more meeting each other have always been a religious symbol for many many religion around the globe, include minor local ones. A meet between life and death, man and woman (yeah, sex), day and night, etc... Christain probably was just absorbing the "cross is sacred symbol" from one of the smaller religions during that timeframe as it spread.

In fact the crucified cross in the Old Testtament was actually a T-shaped if I remember correctly. Need to be verified through
I'm...not sure what you're doubting? Crucifixion as a method of execution is a very well documented phenomenon across many cultures, and it was most definitely a thing in 1st century Rome, at the beginning of the Christian movement.

If you're just doubting that's where the symbol came from, then alright, but Jesus himself refers to the cross as a symbol of sin and shame in the Bible, so that's definitely what's taught in Christian tradition. Whether there were other factors that led to the adoption of the symbol is far beyond me to judge though.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote