View Single Post
Old 2017-03-11, 19:33   Link #2412
4th Dimension

Necromancy!!!
@Gx Hero Actually I'm quite sure that is Sequence 01 Battle 2B stage, the one where Arf and Amita fight.

2A is versus Yuuno, which by some coincidence I just translated. Well translated is a strong word considering that I do not know Japanese, but do know some basics about their sentence structure and know how to use dictionaries, Google Translate and am aware in general what should be happening.

So without further ado:

Spoiler for Sequence 01 - Battle 2A - Amita vs Yuuno:

Comments/Annotations:
* I could have probably gone with healer here, but healing arts fits too I think.
** She really draaawls this out.
*** This is probably the first one that properly stumped me. I think the literal translation is something along the lines of "Nanoha, that some, strange person has not appeared? "
*4 This kanji could actually be anything considering how badly legible it was in game. Luckily KanjiTomo enabled me to guess it might be this one since it's for attack which fits the narrative.
*5 What she actually says is litteraly "I immediately!" and nothing else. I guess this is another case where Japanese expects you to intuit the missing parts from the context.
*6 She literaly says "Sorry, it's downtime" (downtime is said as dauntaimu ). This is my best guess about the meaning.
*7 This is the ussual problem. In Japanese the ship's name is Asura, but for some reason fan subs keep refering to it as Artha.
*8 The Japanese word here is 反応 meaning reaction/response. Now I'm quite sure that some would translate this as reaction, but that makes no bloody sense in context especially since the literal translation is something like "there is a strange reaction". To me it's clear she is talking about something they are picking up with their sensors on Asura, and therefore signal is I think more appropriate. Or maybe simply use "sensing something strange".
*9 Oh I'm yet to find a dictionary that has a definition for ヘンな. Google Translate has it as "strange" and it fits the context but I could find nothing else to support it.
*10 I'm unsure which one to use here since 異世界 is composed of two parts 異 meaning different/uncommon/strange and 世界 meaning world. 世界 is pretty commonly used to mean world in Nanoha franchise (管理世界 is administered world), but 異世界 also seems to have a meaning of parallel universe/different-dimension world. I think world is probably the intended translation.
*11 At least I hope I'm right that she is refering to Hayate (spoilers the next fight is against her) since no gender is given.

---------------------------------------------
Also while I'm necromancying here I should say that I have been futsing around with this game files too. The game uses similar way of packing it's files (add_pac and lzs) and like with BoD there is still no way to put the files back together after they are uncompressed which means no way to make language patches. But here it's actually worse since they don't even use any kind of normal encoding but have rolled out DIFFERENT encoding/font file for EACH sequence. This is also bad for translating and my video form English subtitle translations since unlike in BoD where I can extract subtitles for all stages, here I have to take screenshots and then run KanjiTomo OCR on them to get the Japanese text since I can not decypher the subtitle files for GoD.
Anyway my full odysey in all it's glorious technical detail can be found here so I don't pollute the thread with my ranting about technical details.
On the plus side I was able to rip probably all of the artwork. So @Fluegel my buddy my man after just a month less than 3 years your dreams have come true.

PS. Oh and while I do have a translation of 1A, the fight before this one, I think it would be better to point you towards this video since his translation is probably better than mine.

PS2: Ah damn, I did not include the ッ っ at the ends of some of the sentences in originals, since I tend to drop them since they seem not to be read. But now I have learned that they do have a meaning, and that is that the speaker is agitated and is ending the sentence abruptly. Oh well live and learn.

PS3: I found a mistake in my OCR. At *12 it was not 便 but 使. The first one meant flight which made no sense, but the second one is kanji part of the word for use.

Last edited by 4th Dimension; 2017-03-18 at 15:10. Reason: Found a mistake in OCR.
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote