Thread: Licensed BanG Dream!
View Single Post
Old 2017-03-13, 19:45   Link #98
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Yes, the show may not have the most outstanding 2D animation but what it lacks in that particular technical department it more than makes up in sheer heart. Brilliantly done this episode right down to the teaser after the credits.
That teaser was a very good call by the writers, in my opinion.

Episode 8 ends on a note of total victory, really. And shows like this one and Love Live benefit from having an overarching source of conflict for the full group to rally together for. Without that sort of conflict, shows like this one and Love Live can become a little too much like your everyday lighthearted all-girls anime shows. Much of what helps Love Live and Bang Dream stand out, in my view, is its drama side, which benefits from a practical/meaningful source of conflict.

But fighting to keep a school open has been done a lot in anime in general, and especially in Love Live. But fighting to keep a rock band venue open? Now that's different. And it ties in very directly to Poppin' Party's dreams. I mean, I'm sure there's other venues out there, but these five girls are all very much use to this particular one, and they've built up some emotional attachment to it.

So very clever writing here, in my view. It makes me feel confident in Bang Dream moving forward.

Quote:
I almost broke down in tears with Saya. Very well done. You could tell that Kasumi was struggling to keep herself happy and pull the school festival through all along the episode to avoid giving Saya yet another feeling of guilt to carry.
There's a great sense of warmth and friendship between Kasumi and Saya. Kasumi is so very, very warm. It's one of the main things I like about her. Kasumi is a little pushy, but she also seems like a very good caring person to me.

In general, Bang Dream simply radiates with woolly warmth. It makes it very easy to cheer on these characters and feel moved by their success.