View Single Post
Old 2006-07-07, 11:36   Link #39
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Haruhi and Tsuruya: For the exact same reasons as everybody else.

Kyon: The normal/stoic guy stuck in an improbable situation in which he's largely limited to being a sarcastic jerk, but he still manages to care about the rest of the SOS-dan along the way.

Itsuki: His pretentious philosophical babbling doesn't actually explain much, but it does confuse his friends... just like me. I didn't really think he was that hard to understand (maybe related to the epic nerdfests on the very subjects he addresses with my fellow armchair philosophers back in high school), but I applaud him for talking above Kyon's level of imagination constantly. Being Haruhi's yes-man isn't exactly commendable, but he's funny in that role. Could be I'm just backlashing against the hate he got after episode 13, but I found myself liking him a lot more when the whole thing wrapped up.

Yuki: I'm with the 'no character to begin with means that even the slightest twitch counts as development' crowd. She's more interesting when she's in motion because she's so plain at rest. And I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for all that reality hacking. 'Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology'... or maybe 'Sufficiently advanced physics is indistinguishable from magic sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from technology.'

Or maybe it should come full-circle. 'Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from physics sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from technology.'