View Single Post
Old 2017-10-01, 04:39   Link #793
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'm not going to read back because I have a pretty good hunch as to what's been going on here in the past weeks, but I guess there may be some people here who are interested in this one detail.

There's a pretty serious translation fuck-up in this episode - well, at least one serious translation fuck-up, going by the translator's record there could very well be more, but I stopped looking at the subs after this.

Kaisar's last line - "last" - is not about death being peaceful or whatever the translator misheard and clearly didn't stop thinking about how it makes no sense in context. Kaisar is addressing Charioce and telling him to "create true peace" (真の安寧を). He's paying the price in Charioce's place (on this particular account, anyway) but in exchange he leaves him with a task to understand and honor... understand, first and foremost. It's a task fit for a better person, and while Charioce is never going to be a truly good person, in the end we see that he at least understood, and is presumably working on honoring the wish.

Kaisar and Charioce had some really nice dynamics throughout the show (understated as it was - I wish we'd seen more of it), and this, and where Charioce ended up, was a great conclusion to it. It's a pity that the translation messed this up for sub readers.

By the way if anyone is curious: unsurprisingly I loved the last episode. It was gorgeous-looking and overall lovely, and a great, bittersweet closure to the series. (Even as ultimately about an episode's worth of plot was missing from the story. I wonder what happened there and if we'll ever get the missing detail in any way.) And I really can't praise Umehara Yuuichirou and Morohoshi Sumire enough. They were fantastic, this will definitely become the definitive show for me to match their future performances against.

And with this I'm bowing out again. This show wasn't perfect, but overall I thought it was great, and so I'd rather enjoy it peacefully, without self-absorbed people calling me a Nazi apologist for liking Charioce and thinking he's a fascinating character, warts and all.
which translator?