View Single Post
Old 2017-10-02, 15:47   Link #813
Albel VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It doesn't help your case that numerous comments in past pages are more interested in addressing Charioce's atrocities and how he "got away with it" rather than complaining how boring he is .
It also doesn't hurt it. He shouldn't have been boring since him being interesting is something that could have prevented those type of comments. That was my point.

Let me explain in a different fashion what I mean by this. Complainers' problem in a nutshell: "A guy with a bunch of awful deeds got treated too well by the creators, sometimes even at the expense of the older characters. It's unfair." That's a pretty normal reaction in a case like this if you ask me. I'd say that this is the default response from most viewers normally. (Even if it'd make sense considering the themes of a given story.)

However you brought up the fact that there are characters in other stories who were just as nasty, got favored by the creators and yet people didn't complain about those. I think these are special cases. (It's not necessarily rare though.) This thing happens when people come to love a character like these so much that they are willing to excuse/ignore/forgive said character's atrocities no matter how awful those might be. This requires lots of charisma.

Charoce being boring is a major problem with the character since the creators really wanted people to like him if you ask me, since they tried to show a couple of times that he isn't a bad guy deep down. It seems they pretty much wanted him to steal the show. However it seems they failed because not many has come to like him. (At least that's what I noticed in various forums). The execution was way too clumsy. He just didn't have enough charisma to pull this off.

Also do note that while not many seem think that Charioce was an interesting character, those who do also happen to generally like the ending and the series as a whole.

I personally don't think this is what ruined the show by the way, I think the story was crumbling since the parade arc.

Last edited by Albel VII; 2017-10-02 at 16:01. Reason: Adding a line, fixing typos, adding missing words
Albel VII is offline   Reply With Quote