View Single Post
Old 2018-01-05, 00:50   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Both Fate Zero and Unlimited Blade Works (the series, not the movie) are much better than Fate Stay Night.

Though my top picks would be things like Crest of the Stars and it's sequel Banner of the Stars. Or Space Battleship Yamato (though I suggest the remake 2199 over the 70s version - I have nostalgia glasses, you don't).

It's hard because I can't think of any top level stories that are exactly Fullmetal Alchemist genre. But there are some really good stories that deal with philosophical questions.

Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evangelion being two obvious choices. Though they are both much shorter than FMA.

A few other possibilities: Katanagatari, Read Or Die (the OVA version), Chrono Crusade, Full Metal Panic, Mawaru Penguindrum, Soul Eater, Tiger & Bunny.

Avatar: The Last Airbender comes to mind if you want to travel around a completed world, even if technically it's not an anime.

If you are willing to not just cross some genre boundaries but go to completely different genres that have well written stories, then you might want to try Silver Spoon which is by the same author as Fullmetal Alchemist.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote