View Single Post
Old 2018-02-22, 01:02   Link #36
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
So there's nothing to discuss, because nothing is going to change until people have had enough. And while I'd like to say this time will be different, I've seen this song and dance before. Maybe when the tune changes so will the dance.

If you want to see my opinion echoed just watch Jon Stewart's various speeches on the topic over the last two decades. At a certain point you just feel like you're yelling at the wind.
Here is what I would raise as a counterpoint. For decades healthcare was treated much the same way! We debated, tried and failed for so long that we thought nothing would ever change with the US healthcare system. As history would have it, nothing was different until it was and we got the ACA passed (Putting aside personal qualms with the solution vs medicare as I know you prefer) it did signify a HUGE cultural shift in this country for things like universal coverage and preexisting conditions. My point? It's too easy to succumb to self defeatism.

Between Sand Hook and and this you can really see the winds of change in motion. I'm really inspired by the kids who went on that stage tonight at the town hall and guess what? Marco Rubio the A+ NRA rating senator at least gave credence to 3 compromises he was willing to make regarding background checks, high capacity magazines, and bump stocks. Is it everything? No, but it's something. We even have a march being planned late in March that may the signs of stronger support forming to battle the NRA.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/966500059499069442

Yeah, maybe change won't happen instantly but the statistics are really going towards this country being in full support of basic common sense legislation like background checks and even majority support of things like an assault weapons ban.

This is why I pushed back against this idea that gun control shouldn't be discussed because within the context of this event there is what I feel is a sense of progress in the discussion and I can see this generation to be the one that finally turns this around (if not now, in the near future).