View Single Post
Old 2019-01-14, 09:28   Link #258
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Before I drop my 2 cents, I am against slavery.

Now here I drop it. It seems that a lot in this topic seems to project the pre-American Civil War type of slavery, where basically the slaves are at the mercy of their masters' whims who have right of life and death over them. But there is other civilizations where being a slave is not as dire as their situation is. Roman civilization or those like the Ottomans are among those, or the Pre-French Revolution French colonies of the Carribeans when Le Code Noir have been implemented. They have some rights, masters cant kill them as they please, those slaves even have the possibility to be freed, enjoy social ascension. In the case of the French colonies from before the Revolution, slaves were allowed to rest on Sundays and holidays, can marry and their masters have had the obligation to feed them and dress them.

What I mean is that , from the first episode, anime-only viewers have literally NO way to know what are the status of slaves, AND semi-humans, what they can and cannot, and what a noble or a free man of the kingdom can do to a slave or a semi-human. Especially a semi-human who is a slave or is not.
While not outright wrong, the Roman situation was a bit more complicated. I'm pretty sure the pater familias could kill them as they pleased though. (unless there was a longer period of peace because slaves were rare at that point)
The prospect of freedom was also used as an incentive for the slaves to work their peculium properly.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote