View Single Post
Old 2019-02-07, 02:23   Link #37
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila
I know 'real world' physics/logic shouldn't apply to a make believe fantasy, but it'd be fun to know how much force is actually behind a crotch-kick.
Hmm.

Motoyasu is 170 cm (5'7") tall. He has a healthy build, and likely weighs in the neighborhood of 70 kg. His armor probably weighs around 15-20 kg (low end of full plate mail).

The overhead shot indicated that the distance to the hay pile was about 3.3 times Motoyasu's height, which puts it at about 5.5 meters.

If we use the time in flight from the episode, but leave out the slow-mo part, it's about 1 second up and 1 second down, which gives a peak height of about 5 meters (16 feet).

Vertical force is m*g*h = 4165 N

Horizontal velocity of 2.75 m/s, and a "crumple zone" (the hay) of half a meter.

Horizontal force is (0.5*85*2.75^2)/0.5 = 643 N

Overall, about 4200 N of force. A bit more than a 7.62x39 rifle bullet, or a bit less than a 100 kg (220 lb) football tackle running at full sprint speed (40 yards in 4 seconds).

I'm sure I screwed up the math in there somewhere, but the concluding values actually roughly match up with what I'd expect. A kick from Filo is a bit like a linebacker slamming into your crotch.