Thread: Brexit Vote
View Single Post
Old 2019-04-13, 07:49   Link #1104
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I disagree that the EU is going to keep giving the UK extensions indefinitely. In fact I'm not going to be at all surprised if this is the last one, unless the UK has adopted a specific plan that takes extra time to execute (like a second referendum).
I might be biased because of where I live but I really think no parties involved want to be seen as the ones responsible for there being a border in Ireland.

In March the UK also was told to approve the WA or have a specific plan if they wanted an extension past April 12th and neither happened yet they still got an extension. I could see this happening again, especially if it's still May at the helm in October, though I'd imagine that if an extension is agreed beyond October 2019 then the UK will have to agree to refuse having influence over the long term budget planning for 2021 - 2027 that is supposed to be finalised in 2020.

May survived a vote of no confidence within the tory party last December, they can't hold another until December 2019. Corbyn could try for a vote of no confidence again after the last one in January to try to trigger a general election but that would still require the DUP dropping their support for May or conservatives voting against may and would conservatives really want to risk losing their seat in a general election?