Thread: Licensed RahXephon
View Single Post
Old 2006-08-10, 10:47   Link #87
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I guess also, the insinuation was that Yutaka Izubuchi was unaware of Rahxephon being a copy? Hm.
He isn't exactly critisizing, but more like saying... well, I'll just quote the whole of Oshii's monologue that relates to RahXephon and Evangelion

Quote:
Oshii: The other thing I thought of was about copying. Quite aptly, Anno declared himself a copy, saying, "I'm a copy of a copy". But this is "a copy of a copy of a copy". In the future, there will undoubtly be "a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy", and undoubtly, this chain of copies will continue. Animation has also already entered this world, and there no longer are such things as originals.

Izubuchi: But the easy path that you mentioned earlier is a part of a world that has exister sinca a long time ago.

Oshii: That's true, but in the case of Anno, he was aware of being "a copy of a copy". In other words, that's Anno's stance. The very existence of self-consciousness, you could say it's the position you're stayng in when creating something. Other directors aren't even conscious that what they're making are copies.

Of course, I don't mind at all if they are copies. We've been making copies for 100 years, so new stories, new situations, and new scene allocations don't exist. Everthing references other things, and I'm fully aware of that. The issue is if you are doing it intentionally and how conscious you are that what you're making is a copy.

These days, the fact that there is no controversy concerning copying in animation and that there's no awareness of it is a big problem. In my mind, the greatest achievement of EVA is that it is self-aware of being a copy. That was a huge change, and it was a big turning point. That's why I pay attention to Anno. Not about what he's going to make but as a situation.

And that's where RahXephon popped up. From my perspective, I thought, "Oh, this is definitely Butchan" He sure is working as naively as ever," (laughs). I keep saying this, but I'm not saying that in a negative way. Of course, speaking from my position, it's undoubtly an all out denial, but in terms of human nature, that was truly Butchan. And he's "the king of naivety", as it were (laughs).

In that sense, I went home feeling warm somehow (laughs). I need Butchan to keep walking down that path from now on as well. You master that "king of naivety" to the very end.

Izubuchi: You're telling me to consciously master that (laughs) But for this job, I don't really know if it's a copy of not, but I did feel like I wanted to try and see if that route couldn't be followed once more. I suppose that might mean that it's a copy of a route that's perpetuated to this day.

Oshii: No matter what reasons you line up now, ultimately, you're a man who yields to his fetishes. There's a part of me that's like that, too, which is why I've been able to keep up with you, and I really understand that well. Why you just have to see that quad cannon (laughs).

But it's probably going to end with Butchan. There's no doubt that after this, copies that aren't aware of being copies are going to become prevalent. In the end, there isn't much in existence that possesses the full weight of fantasy.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote