View Single Post
Old 2020-10-13, 08:24   Link #54
myopius

My thoughts on the first episode... it's a truly Japanese story. Instead of directly telling your daughter she shouldn't act dismissive of less talented and/or hardworking people, or otherwise teaching her better consideration in the 14 years you raised her... just arrange for a stranger to quietly bully her for a month, then make her feel like she's about to be brutally murdered while mocking her verbally.

I get that having the power of a witch is a huge responsibility and her parents worry a lot about whether she's mature enough to handle it, but psychological torture is a grossly inefficient educational method (outside of anime, it will obviously give you PTSD most of the time) so I view Nora first month with her as the author deliberately employing the most dramatic as possible plot device to convey the theme that being a witch is a heavy responsibility.

It's also quite "Japanese" how before leaving the house, her mother makes sure to tell her "if you're in danger, run away" and "you're the same as everyone else, don't think of yourself as special". Disavowing individual responsibility or individual worth... It should be said that everyone is special in different ways.