View Single Post
Old 2020-10-13, 17:09   Link #55
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
My thoughts on the first episode... it's a truly Japanese story. Instead of directly telling your daughter she shouldn't act dismissive of less talented and/or hardworking people, or otherwise teaching her better consideration in the 14 years you raised her... just arrange for a stranger to quietly bully her for a month, then make her feel like she's about to be brutally murdered while mocking her verbally.

I get that having the power of a witch is a huge responsibility and her parents worry a lot about whether she's mature enough to handle it, but psychological torture is a grossly inefficient educational method (outside of anime, it will obviously give you PTSD most of the time) so I view Nora first month with her as the author deliberately employing the most dramatic as possible plot device to convey the theme that being a witch is a heavy responsibility.

It's also quite "Japanese" how before leaving the house, her mother makes sure to tell her "if you're in danger, run away" and "you're the same as everyone else, don't think of yourself as special". Disavowing individual responsibility or individual worth... It should be said that everyone is special in different ways.
i would say i disagree a lot with you, some peoples do think a better way to teach is put the person in a situation let's say "close" to the real one to make that person know the issue, it's not bad as you make is just a different aproach, it not only give pstd as you claim since here in my country it was pretty common and you don't have everyone with ptsd.

also that "its japonese" indeed this "special" argument only make things worse in my opnion specially if that said person is not really special in the sence of being a "talent", for me is better be "realistic and prepar your kid to be strong than just "be kind" and turn that person in a "millenium person" which things which everything is a paradise dream lands you never gonna have dificults every person is "kind" believe in everyone and bla bla bla, this only make peoples easy target for bad peoples trying to take advantage of the children.

i really don't feel like her parents were "cruel or anything as you are making and i'm not "japanese" brasilian here.

it's just about "be ready for real life" and all the crap can come with it.