Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
View Single Post
Old 2020-10-22, 12:55   Link #51
arkhangelsk

Can I say I groaned?

I believe I get what they are trying to do. On the other hand, I have objections to shows that just "jerk" their characters around to meet short term plot needs. Think about it:
First because they need a complete newbie character to be plausibly useful in an elite squadron, they infused her with a huge amount of magic power.
Second, Miyafuji actually gets pretty competent by the end of Strike Witches I, but for what is more a fanservice episode than anything, they nerfed her and said she needed retraining in the early part of Strike Witches II.
Third, having gotten out of her slump, for a little more pathos they decided to nerf her magic capacity entirely at the end of Strike Witches II.
Fourth, they decide they want her back, so they restore her magic power in the movie. In fact, I don't think I've seen her magic power that high before.

This is the fifth jerk, and I am getting rather jaded by all of these contrivances. Further, the severity of this problem seems entirely dependent on intraepisode plot needs. Miyafuji flies long-distance, fights a Neuroi, almost beats it on her own and the thing never craps out entirely until the end.
This episode, she still lasts maybe 15 minutes before suffering some kind of total power failure.
And then in the night, she can barely move three inches from the start rack in a scene clearly intended to crudely jerk at my heartstrings?

Really? Can I say I do not wish to be so cheaply bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I don’t think so: Hikari’s problem was that she couldn’t focus her magic for a given task, so Gundalla was training her to concentrate. Yoshika, on the other hand, has a different problem to face.
Hikari's main problem is that she barely has enough magic power (talent) to make the program at all, though her stamina is above average. She not only needs to concentrate and avoid taking too many hits, but also practice using it until she's very efficient in using what she has. It is possible at least some of the program would transfer.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote