View Single Post
Old 2006-08-11, 22:30   Link #304
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Saw episode 05 (and also read its corresponding manga chapter). Illustrated psychiatric books through Freud? Counseling conducted by a 17 or 18 year old girl no less? Pardon me while I restrain a chuckle, *grin*. Obviously she's not a professional, but you know you're not getting proper therapy when your counselor can't even deal with matters of sex without blushing. Which begs the ambiguous questions, how or in what way is Misaki and her mere presence helping Satou? And why? These will be sustaining questions in my mind as I watch and (re)read the rest of NHK.

I am curious as to why Freud is such a poster-boy for psychology, and his theories are so prominent to the general population to a point that his concepts are almost always first to be referred when it comes to psychological matters. I suppose it's due to his adaptive theories regarding a prolific subject, and his high influence in psychology, that bolstered Freud's eminence into the household level. But one of the main problems of Freud's theories is that they're constructed in a way that it's self-contained, and are not disapprovable. Even if it's wrong, a psychoanalyst following Freud's train of thought can always think up a plausible explanation regarding the interpretation of a dream. Or for another example, his theory that conflicts between mental structures such as the id and the superego were factors in determining one's personality and behaviour. But there is no way to observe or measure these structures, thus very difficult to test his hypotheses (Neil R. Carlson et al. 2005). Sure, his theories provide a nice guideline to speculate and ponder about, but the way they are formulated makes it hard to give scientific basis to his ideas. Which is why I am reluctant trust the psychology of Freud, at least, elucidations based solely on him.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote