Thread: Licensed Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? [WN]
View Single Post
Old 2021-03-06, 07:53   Link #8764
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Hi again, been busy with life so put all of these at the back burner and simmer a bit in my mind pot. Just gonna share what rambling thoughts I had in the past week.

About Malthusian and why humans should, or should not care about their souls. First off, unless you are like Dustin, chances are for the average people they start fresh after every reincarnation. Even if the soul is the same, they are for all intents and purposes two different people, strangers to each other. The soul then, is just a natural resource that is used to fuel the continued existence of an individual, and right now, that natural resource is in short supply and is unable to provide enough for the "population", which is humans. So Shiro's plan to save those souls, isn't out of consideration of the human's continued well being, but to not waste resources. She views the human souls as farmers view their cattle drinking water, a resource to be managed. Shiro now has a drying spring and too much cow, so she's butchering them, which is indeed logical because if she maintains that number of cows, the spring dries faster (and all the cows die, but she's more concerned about the spring right now because she needs it for something else). But as I said before, for most of the humans, their current life is normally all they have and will ever knew (though apparently D messed with that), sacrificing your life so another human might live is indeed noble, but it's not something that should be forced on, even if that other human is in a way their own self. For the average humans, normal death is just as severe as soul death, so they need not care as much for their own souls.