View Single Post
Old 2021-03-23, 02:33   Link #182
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Sole Salvation

If Levi's an a*****e, then other characters would be more or less like him.

Back when I watched season one eight years ago, I withheld passing judgement on Annie for all the lives she took away at both the 58th Expedition and the Stohess District arcs because she was just following the mission along with Reiner and Bertholdt. And, her character arc had not been fully explored and fleshed out at its full potential.

However, I do agree that Zeke crossed the line for what he did at Ragako Village claiming false pity for the inhabitants to justify for the cause to save the Eldian race. Yet, Levi made it clear without buying such speech that the former had little to no interest at being concerned for the lives he wastes away if it can be justified for a grandiose cause that Zeke truly believes.

My point is that both audiences and readers shouldn't pass judgement on the characters until their respective arcs are fully explored or fleshed out in order to properly understand their previous actions and what drives them to keep moving into that set path that either they chose for themselves or were thrown into against their will.
However, if said character, through his or her deeds, crosses certain moral threshold event horizon of no return then the audience either immediately or eventually will sooner or later lose all sympathy for said character.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote