View Single Post
Old 2021-12-19, 08:09   Link #288
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I haven't been here in awhile, but my experience in watching Aquatope along with reading some of the comments about it here on this thread made me feel like I had to drop back in to defend the show some.
It's good to see you again!

I largely agree with what you said, and I respect the message of the show but it has been clumsy in presenting some of its themes and conflicts. My issue with Kukuru choosing to stick to marketing is that she was basically forced into this position by the director on her grandpa's recommendation, and she spent the entire second cour whining about it and wanting to go back to being an attendant. When she gets the opportunity to be an attendant, she's not sure what to do any more because she just got one win (the wedding thing) and it's hearing her boss' sob story that ultimately swerves her. It could have been handled a lot better.

The other major issue the show had was that some plot points were dropped. The dolphin Ban-chan was mentioned earlier. What about Kai having to take a break because his father was sick? He didn't get any closer to Kukuru, his dad ended up being fine, and he just resumed work albeit under Chiyu this time. What was even the point? I totally thought they were setting up the yuri-to-het swerve you mentioned with this (especially with Fuuka going away for two years), and while I'm certainly glad they didn't do it because it would have been super forced, I wish they'd at least done something with Kai's character. He ended up just being Kukuru's punching bag. His main goal was to confess to Kukuru, he never did that. But perhaps after working under Chiyu, he awakened a MILF fetish and switched goals/dreams