Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's good to see you again!
Thanks!

Quote:
I largely agree with what you said, and I respect the message of the show but it has been clumsy in presenting some of its themes and conflicts. My issue with Kukuru choosing to stick to marketing is that she was basically forced into this position by the director on her grandpa's recommendation, and she spent the entire second cour whining about it and wanting to go back to being an attendant. When she gets the opportunity to be an attendant, she's not sure what to do any more because she just got one win (the wedding thing) and it's hearing her boss' sob story that ultimately swerves her. It could have been handled a lot better.
Those are fair points, especially since Aquatope's 2nd cour had a couple episodes that didn't have much happen in them. I agree that Kukuru's change of heart could have been executed better.

Quote:
The other major issue the show had was that some plot points were dropped. The dolphin Ban-chan was mentioned earlier. What about Kai having to take a break because his father was sick? He didn't get any closer to Kukuru, his dad ended up being fine, and he just resumed work albeit under Chiyu this time. What was even the point?
Like yourself, I was worried they were going to use the situation with Kai's father to setup a yuri-to-het switch. That this situation would focus Kukuru more on Kai, make her explore her feelings for him more, and the rest would be history. I was really relieved that this yuri-to-het switch never happened. Ironically, I think the point with having Kai take this break was the opposite of what I had feared - they wanted a believable reason for Kai to (mostly) go away for the final section of Cour 2 so his ongoing failure to confess to Kukuru would seem a little less pathetic.

It would have been nice, and better, if there had been a scene of Ban-chan swimming away, especially since that would kinda reflect the show's themes. That being said, Ban-chan did get a lot of scenes overall, it felt like to me.

Quote:
He ended up just being Kukuru's punching bag.
Ha ha! His hands certainly are her punching bag.

Aquatope's supporting cast definitely had their issues, that I agree with. But I really liked Fuuka and Kukuru, especially Fuuka. I found their stories pretty compelling.

I enjoyed Cour 1 a bit more than Cour 2. With that in mind, I agree with what some other people said about PAW being better at coming of age stories than work-life stories. The strongest elements of Aquatope itself are the CoA elements more than the work-life elements. So yes, maybe the next PAW show should be something more like Tari Tari.