View Single Post
Old 2022-01-08, 23:40   Link #24
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Enduring a loss in Episode 3, and having to bounce back from that? Being reunited with an old friend that you're now having serious problems getting along with and understanding? That's struggle. It might not be epic struggle, but I've certainly seen some anime protagonists struggle less than Karen did. She struggled enough to make the story engaging, at least for me.
Well at that time Karen was still treating the whole thing as a game which angered Juuna and others. Maya beating her down was mostly to show that this isn't a game and she needs to respect the revues. It was actually pretty enjoyable that Maya did crush her, as a veteran she should be feared. (Though her ultimate purpose is to job to Nana xD)

Quote:
Right, exactly. The Revue Starlight TV series was an idealistic show. There's no need for such a show to have realism, or be a commentary on the real-life world of actors and actresses.
Yea. I mean, that would be kinda forced. Funny enough the recap movie (don't bother) added a bit where

Spoiler:

Quote:
And I agree with you on Nana. Nana is my favorite character in this franchise. And honestly, Nana's big scene fairly early in this movie left me hoping that she'd have a critically important role in the plot of the movie, but... she didn't, really. She ended up getting her one Revue with Juuna and that was that, pretty much.
Well guess the problem was it was in the middle when it should probably have been 2nd to last.

Nana's issue was her character was kinda done, so she was trying to lead the other girls out by not making the same mistakes with reliving the past constantly. So she was doing the big sister thing. The problem was more that Junna wasn't really conflicted to begin with (she was already certain with what she was) so it became a little pointless either than wanting them to see them fight, or people that really believed that Juuna should win something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That stuff was just symbolism. The show wasn't really about talking giraffes and magical fights. That's just a flashy way of showing something else. You could replace all that crap for actual acting auditions and the show could be exactly the same as far as plot and themes go.
I mean you can, but at a certain point there's only so far metaphors will go. Yes, the whole conflict and struggle of the revues can be taking as an abstract sense, and maybe they didn't even have revues during the train ride. But...

Like Banana forcefully keeping everyone there and always winning isn't really something that can be consistent with a more mundane explanation. Even if we just accept that she doesn't want to move on in her head, how does it really force other people in? And how would she have a conflict with Hikari, someone she can't even know without the time shenanigans?

That I think is the game changer, and can't really be ignored. And I feel like you could say that to many stories to just "stuff happens". But of course most things in fiction are about human relationships and conflict that could be expressed in realistic terms. That.... doesn't mean all the fantasy parts are inherently superfluous even if it could be written that way.

And finally, if we're really supposed to assume those fights aren't real, then winning and losing really shouldn't have any significance either would it? Granted, people were cutting off buttons left and right to no effect in the movie, sooo guess Nana was right. It wasn't a Revue.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote