View Single Post
Old 2022-10-01, 20:31   Link #15
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Plus what is the relevance of the mythical kalavinka in the story?

Anyway...

Saiunkoku Monogatari, despite having a similar setting, doesn't seem to have the same feeling because the actual court intrigue there wasn't the central focus of the story (it was more about general imperial politics and being a civil servant), and so this is probably my first foray into actual happenings inside the Imperial Court. From this episode, we get a very nice glimpse of how things work there, both the bad and the worse, and how this seemingly self-contained city doesn't run out of things to talk about. I guess that's how consorts are a source of entertainment in more ways than one.

Shouxue seems to be capable as consort... and a detective, capable of going around the Imperial City while keeping her well-guarded identity relatively unknown to most. I mean, very few people do know her, so that's a plus for her. It also helps that Jiujiu is the perfect informant; she engages in everyday gossip and doesn't stop talking. Right now, the first case involves a supposed hanging of a consort who was suspected of poisoning another. Pretty sure it isn't actually her fault and a sharp weapon was involved. Otherwise, I don't think a sash could have left a mark on a jade earring like that.

Now there are overarching issues at play here, the current Emperor's beef with the Empress Dowager and his pursuit of justice according to law and logic, as well as Shouxue's actual background as both the Raven Consort and seemingly a member of the fallen Luan clan. Also what the actual fuck is that golden chicken?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2022-10-01 at 21:05.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote