View Single Post
Old 2023-07-01, 11:14   Link #731
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Follow-on: my garden's tits have returned to their nest despite the previous, gory affair and laid seven eggs, five of which have turned into five healthy-looking soon-to-be-fledglings. This is a much better outcome than I could have hoped for, given the rather sweltering summer we've been having. The parents haven't been as visible as previously, eschewing the sunrays to avoid getting cooked in midair -- thus making me worry (albeit unnecessarily, as it seems) about the chicks being fed regularly and properly.

Imgur folder

TL;DR…
new nest pictures!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I have since changed my mind about the birds' identity. The plumage of these tits is much greyer, darker than the so-called mésange charbonnière's (Parus major), leading me to think that I'm actually dealing with family members of the mésange noire (Periparus ater) breed, AKA the coal tit. There are, however, great tits (giggity!) with distinctively blue-yellow-white-black plumage visiting my garden and eating from my birdfeeder - but those are nesting elsewhere.

Anyway...less than week before final liftoff. Honestly, I dread that day - read my previous post as to why.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2023-07-02 at 06:47.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote