View Single Post
Old 2024-02-10, 02:39   Link #1302
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I just got a PS5, right in time to play the FF7Rb demo. First off, performance mode is REALLY consistent, without missing any renders...although the demo doesn't cover any large expanse or high-speed travel, so I take it with a grain of salt. The voice acting is still top notch and the music is even better than Remake - I actually came to like Tifa's theme after playing it on the piano a few times, while it used to leave me indifferent in the OG. The story is being pieced together in a clever way, with not-so-subtle details but not really spelling it out for you.

The combat takes a bit of getting used to, I kept using team attacks when I wanted to change stance because I'm used to holding down guard, but I got it down after a few fights. Aerial combat has significantly improved, the stagger system still works wonders and actually controlling Sephiroth felt amazing.

The exploration is my least favourite part, a mixed bag of sorts; on one hand, there is a LOT of fun materia to pick up even in the demo, which seems to account for the larger character roster we'll be getting in the full game, as well as a bunch of healing items to legitimately sub healing materia for something else - a pretty smart move, at least for NG, assuming we get a hard mode in this game too. On the OTHER hand, the terrain button is automatically on when sprinting, with MANY platforms being very small or having many places to go to, which results in Cloud hopping non-stop with the slightest tilt in any direction. It's... not optimal, to say the least, though I suspect it can't get any worse, considering the demo covers a relatively small map. Finally, sprinting around town results in a cacophony of one-liners that you have to slow down and listen to one at a time, especially outside the mayor's manor.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to play the Junon harbor part, I'm guessing it will become available in a week or so.

P.S: A question to all who played around in Nibelheim...
Spoiler for doing Cloud stuff:
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote